Monday, March 18, 2013

My first attempt at hair coloring! :D

Soooo I've been wanting to color my hair for the longest time but I wasn't exactly willing to shell out the money for a salon treatment, so I decided to try out doing it myself. :D 

I bought Kolours in Burgundy from the grocery. It cost me about Php 250. My other options were L'oreal (Php 450), Revlon (Php 500) and Garnier (Php 350). What sold me on this choice was its price and the fact that the box said that it's designed for Asian hair, which is darker and more resistant to color. I've had difficulty coloring my hair before so this was a plus factor. Also, I liked that on the top of the box it showed the expected effect of the treatment if you have "virgin" hair and if you have already treated hair.

Kolours in Burgundy

The instructions were simple and the box had everything I needed in it: the chemicals, a squeeze bottle and even plastic gloves. Okay, maybe not everything. It would have been more convenient if I had hair clips and an applicator comb thingy but I was so excited that I decided to do without them. :))

The box, instruction sheet, after-treatment conditioner, gloves, color tube, squeeze bottle

This is me before the treatment:


So I put the content of the color tube into the squeeze bottle


Then I shook it so that the chemicals would mix together


And then I applied this mixture to my hair. I did so while wearing the gloves and I used a comb so I could even out the application. I had a hard time doing this, so I wasn't able to take any pictures during this stage :p

Afterwards, I waited for about an hour to let the mixture set in my hair.  The instructions said to leave it on for 30 minutes, plus 15 more MAX if I wanted a lighter color, but I had to eat dinner so I exceeded the time. Thankfully, my hair wasn't damaged. I rinsed it off and then put on the conditioner, and rinsed that off after about 20 minutes.

This is what my hair looked like after:

Sorry for the bad picture, I used my phone camera. Can you see the difference? Didn't use flash because it doesn't show the color.

 See what I mean?  In the mirror my hair looks brown but the camera flash somehow messes that up.

Close up shot of my hair

Honestly, I expected the result to be more obvious. The color only shows under some light. My friend tells me this might be because my hair is untreated. I was going for a lighter shade, So I might try this again after a few weeks with a lighter shade. 


No comments:

Post a Comment